Wednesday 10 September 2014

Josie's Brush With Death

I sat in the dingy pub with a group of friends from college, sipping a glass of vodka & coke. The boys sat one side of the table and the girls the other. Feeling Will's eyes on me, I kept my head down, and tried to follow the conversation. Ugh, ever since the party last week, things had been weird between us. Why did I let him kiss me? I wondered.

The girls giggled, whispering non stop about the boys. I gulped down my drink stood up to leave. I swayed a little, that drink must've had more alcohol in it than I'd realised. I stepped out of the pub, it was still light, and walked towards the main road. My bus pulled up on the other side of the road.

"Oh shit," I didn't want to miss this bus. I ran straight into the road towards it.

Before I could move far a hand caught my wrist and pulled me back. A car brushed past me, if I had been any further into the road I would have been killed. He beeped as he passed and swore. Adrenaline surged through my body, I gasped, relieved to be alive, and safe. I twisted around. It was Will, still holding my wrist he pulled me closer, out of the road. I looked into his eyes properly for the first time since the party.

"Thank you. You saved my life." A sob escaped my lips and tears spilled over my eyes.
"Shh," he said, drawing me into his arms.

He held me close as I cried, my head against his chest. He smelled so good, like fresh air. Once sated I peeked up at him, embarrassment blazing on my cheeks. He looked at me and I couldn't read his expression. It wasn't pity though, which I'd been expecting.

"Sorry," I said looking down again. "I've soaked your t-shirt."
"Don't be sorry Josie," He lifted my chin until I looked at him once more. He twisted some strands of my blonde hair in his fingers and tucked them behind my ear. "Can I take you out sometime?"
Taking in his kind light green eyes and scruffy brown hair I nodded, "Yes."

He kissed me then, his lips firm on mine for a moment. It finished too soon. I sighed wistfully and he chuckled for a moment. When I looked at him though his expression was almost fierce and he wiped away the tears under my eyes.

"I'll take you home now." He took my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment