Friday 2 August 2013

Jem's Painting Week Away

Jem felt relaxed as she gently applied paint to the paper. It was the sixth day she’d
been here in Sussex on this painting course and she didn’t want to think about it ending.

"That looks beautiful" said George the teacher.
"Thank you George! I'm so glad I came"
"There's nothing better than painting in the countryside! It's a great way to relax, and thankfully the rain has stayed away this week" he laughed.
"We really have been so lucky with the weather! I am finding this relaxing!" Jem said.
"I'll let you get on" he said lightly touching the top of her arm and walking away.

"Ooh he touched your arm?" said Ruth a friend Jem had made on this week away.
"Ha ha lucky me"
"Very lucky indeed!!" she whispered laughing.
"If only_"
"Ssh forget about that for now and enjoy his cute presence!" she laughed.

After a shower in the hotel at the end of the day Jem headed down to the restaurant for dinner. Jem was clearly running late as the only space left was next to George. She sat down and said "Hi" to everyone. Ruth just winked at her.

"Hi Jem" said George.
"Hi George, how long have you been teaching courses like this?" Jem said enjoying the close up view of his green eyes.
"Not long, I used to work in an office, and paint in my spare time"
"What happened?" asked Jem sensing a story.
"I almost died, in car accident. It took quite few months to recover! I suddenly realised how lucky I was and I realised that being happy is more important than how much money you earn! So I quit my job and started teaching painting as well as exhibiting my own work.
"You're right! We all focus too much on money these days! I'd love to see your painting!!" said Jem.
"You can if you like! I have an exhibition in London in two weeks time" he wrote the address and details on some paper.
"Thank you! I hope I can make it!"
"It would be wonderful to see you again" he said and Jem's stomach was suddenly full of butterflies.
"You too!" she said and turned to speak to someone else before she blushed.
"You know" started George "You are more than good enough to exhibit too"
"You think so?"
He nodded "If I see you at my exhibition I will discuss it with you"
"Thank you George! I will try and get there"

Jem suddenly realised she had been hogging George's attention for most of the evening and she noticed some jealous eyes looking at her. But these girls had nothing to be jealous of! George would never fancy her. She turned away anyway to speak to Jane, the girl on her left.
"Drinks?" Ruth suddenly asked whispering in her ear.
"Yes please!"
"Come on then" she said grabbing Jem's elbow and heading to the bar area. "Cocktail?"
"Why not!" said Jem hoping the strong drink would still her stomach.
Once served they sat down and clinked glasses.

"I think George rather likes you" Ruth said with a sparkle in her eye.
"I don't think so!" Jem said feeling a little sad.
"Why not Jem?" 
"Come on Ruth you know why!"
"But_"
"Just leave it, I'm not interested in him anyway" lied Jem.
"Alright, sorry!" said Ruth and changed the subject "I hope we can meet up sometime, I'll miss you when we leave tomorrow!"
"Me too, I'm happy we met! George is having an exhibition in two weeks, let's meet then!
"I hope I can make it!"

They had a few more cocktails and when the music started they were on their feet straight away dancing and singing along! When Jem heard the first line of the slow song she left the dance floor to find a seat but instead she ran into George.

"Dance?" asked George suddenly holding out his hand to her.
"Okay"

He pulled her close to him and wrapped his arms around her waist. She leaned her head on his chest with her arms around him and they slowly moved to the music. She felt him kiss her head and looked up. He kissed her gently on her mouth and smiled.

"Why did you kiss me?" she asked bluntly.

He looked confused but then, still holding her hand he lead her out of the room into the hotel lounge where they found a sofa to sit on.


"I kissed you because I like you Jem. Surely you are aware of that?"
"I..." she mumbled "Why though?"
"Why do I like you? Such an easy question, you are beautiful, kind and thoughtful. You love painting like I do..."
"But I'm old!!"
"Yes, you are older than me, but do you think your age matters to me?"
"But there are many girls here your own age! Don't you like any of them?"
"They are nice girls, but I'm not interestied in them the way I am with you!"
"How old are you George?"
"I'm 25!"
"Well I'm 40, that's 15 years difference"
"Jem" he said then paused before bluntly asking "Are you interested or not?"
Jem responded "Okay I am interested but_"
He smiled happily and pulled her into his arms kissing her before she could continue speaking.

They met two weeks later at George's exhibition. He smiled when he saw her and kissed her in front of all the people there before they walked around looking at his paintings.

"Come home with me?" he said after everyone had left.
"Where do you live George?" Jem asked "I know so little about you"
"I live in the Cotswold’s and I also have a flat here in London where I plan to stay tonight. Come back with me for dinner?"
"Are you going to cook for me?" Jem responded. 
"It's your lucky day, I made lasagna earlier!!"

They walked arm in arm back to George's flat and ate he wonderful food he had made with plenty of red wine. Afterwards they relaxed with coffee and mint chocolates. They talked and kissed, getting to know each other.








No comments:

Post a Comment